Absentee voting deadlines approach | News
Absentee voting is underway throughout South Carolina, and the State Election Commission wants to inform voters about associated procedures and deadlines. Voters who meet one of the qualifying reasons listed below may cast an absentee ballot either in person or by mail.
In Person – Visit your county voter registration office, complete an application, and cast your ballot. You may vote absentee in person up until 5:00 p.m., Friday, January 20th.
By Mail –
Step 1: Contact your county voter registration office as soon as possible to request an absentee ballot application. The request may be made in person or by phone, mail, email, or fax.
Step 2: Once you receive your application in the mail, complete the application and return it to your county voter registration office. The application may be returned in person or by mail, email, or fax. The deadline to return the application is 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, January 17th; but voters should return applications as soon as possible to ensure ballots are received and returned on time.
Step 3: Once you receive your ballot in the mail, vote the ballot following ballot instructions and return it to your county voter registration office by 7:00 p.m., Saturday, January 21st. Ballots may be returned in person or by mail.
Persons qualified to vote by absentee ballot:
- Persons who will be outside their county of residence on Election Day
- Members of the Uniformed Services or Merchant Marine, and their spouses and dependents residing with them
- Persons who, for reasons of employment, will not be able to vote on election day
- Physically disabled persons
- Persons sixty-five years of age or older
- Persons serving as a juror in state or federal court on Election Day
- Persons admitted to the hospital as emergency patients on day of election or within a four-day period before the election
- Persons with a death or funeral in the family within three days before the election
- Persons confined to a jail or pre-trial facility pending disposition of arrest or trial
- Persons attending sick or physically disabled persons
- Certified poll watchers, poll managers, and county election officials working on Election Day
Check the status of your absentee ballot: https://info.scvotes.sc.gov/eng/voterinquiry/VoterInformationRequest.aspx?PageMode=AbsenteeInfo
Current and historical absentee voting statistics: www.scvotes.org/2010/05/13/fact_sheets